Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"That" kid

I hate feeling like I have "that" kid. You know? The one that other parents talk about behind your back and say "thank goodness my angels don't act like that!" Or they exchange knowing glances at each other as if to say "I told you he was like that." It's really irritating because no, he is not "that" kid.

"Those" kids are the ones who's parents just shake their heads after their little Billy just bashed a rolling pin against my child's head and the parents look at you and say "Kids!" "Those" kids are the ones that have never been told that they should not hit or bite or whatever.

I realize that yes, kids will be kids. I try really hard not to meddle too much or hover overhead, waiting to swoop in and save the day. I want my children to learn how to play nicely together and solve problems on their own. But I also realize that it is my responsibility to teach my child right from wrong. If my child hits your child, you can bet that my child is going to hear about it from me!

I know it's probably me just making up these things in my head because, hey, I've got nothing else to do. I'm sure people don't look at my son and think he's the devil's spawn, despite the fact that I might think that sometimes. All I know is that I am one heck of a parent that cares way too much about what other people think. Therefore, I must keep reminding myself that my son is doing the best that he can. And so am I.

0 comments: