Sunday, May 10, 2009

Adventures in Potty Training: Take 3

Day 3 Tally:

3 pairs of underwear used
19 pee-pees on the potty
1 bottle of Propel drank
52 times the words "do you need to go pee-pee or poo-poo" uttered
2 proud but very tired parents

So as you can see, we made it through Day 3 of the 3 Day Potty Training Method. Addison is by no means completely potty trained but I definitely feel we have turned a corner.

Before this weekend, Addison would never have peed on the potty unless he was sitting on it practically all day long. I had always hesitated putting him in underwear because I didn't think I had the patience to deal with all the accidents.

I am glad that we went through this process and I am glad that Pete was able to take a Friday off to help out. I can honestly say that I'm not sure I would have been able to carry it out without his assistance. Thanks honey!

I am relieved that Addison "gets it." We didn't have to remind him nearly as much today as we did the past two days. He would often stop what he was doing and tell us he needed to go without either one of us prompting him.

We are still working on #2. I think Addison is hesitant to go poo-poo on the potty. Plus, it's easier to learn how to go #1 when you're going all day long. You get plenty of practice. #2...not so much. Well, not unless you've had your fair share of Taco Bell. We'll get it though!

Night training is also something that we are working on. I really struggle with how to approach this issue. Most people would say just put him in Pull-ups at night. I don't think I can do that. I'm afraid this would send mixed signals to Addison and he would feel like he was back in diapers again. I think I would much rather wash sheets every morning than resort to Pull-ups, but we'll see. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

Overall, I would say that this weekend was a success. As the days go by, Addison will only get better and better. Yes he will still have accidents but I'm happy to report that we are well on our way to being potty trained. Now to venture out and about!

3 comments:

Jill said...

put him to bed early and then wake him up a couple of hours into it for a mid night (not 12 pm, but you know) pee break. that should help-then wake him up super early for a potty and that will also help. he can go back to bed if he needs to.

Valerie23 said...

I think we might have to do this if he continues to wake up wet and we haven't been pumping him full of liquids all day long. We cut him off right after supper and he goes pee right before bed. Last night I went in to check on him before I went to bed and he was still dry. Went in this morning to check on him and it feels like he is wet. Not soaked but wet. The same with the night before. I feel like he's wetting in the middle of the night but I don't know. The method that we used says to get him up an hour before he usually gets up and have him go b/c most kids wet right when they wake up. The problem with this is, he would most likely be up for the day if I did that and I can't have him getting up everyday at 5am! We talked about the late night pee break because hopefully he would just go back to bed after that. I'm gonna wait and see how he does tonight when he hasn't been sucking down Propel all day long. I think he's capable of being dry but I don't know. Some kids are just bed wetters.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I cam across your blog. My 7 and 5 year old daughters have the same issue with wetting at night. My 5 year old does it every night and my 7 year old maybe about 3-4 times a week.

My 5 year old wears a diaper for bed at night and a pull up for nap time. Pull ups are just to expensive to have her use every night. She dose not wake up to go potty. But we use the pull up at nap because it allows for her to go potty before nap and when she wakes up, then she can take it off when she wants to. Most the time it will be dry so she can use it the next day for nap.

With my 7 year old she dose not use a pull up at night when we are at home. She has to wash her sheets and we have a cover for the matress. Although we do have a rule that if we are going to sleep over someone elses house she has to wear a pull up and she is okay with it for the most part. Also if she ends up weting every night during the week I will have her wear a pull up for a little while until it stops happening so often.

I hope this helps?