Thursday, May 7, 2009

Let the potty training games begin!

We have decided to use the 3 day potty training method with Addison starting tomorrow morning. What is the 3 day potty training method? It's basically potty training bootcamp.

Tomorrow morning, we will get up and have Addison throw the rest of his diapers away and then it's only underwear from here on out! We will pump him full of liquids. I'm thinking Propel in this case, or mommy and daddy's water, as he likes to call it.

Then you basically have to become his shadow. Stalking him like an animal stalking his prey. The idea is to always catch him in the act of going and quickly rush him to the potty so he can finish going there. Eventually it will just click and he will start realizing the sensation of having to go.

To be completely honest, I'm terrified! The thought of trailing after him all day long and asking him if he needs to go potty every 15 minutes isn't exactly my idea of an awesome weekend. Neither is cleaning up after all the accidents that he is going to have.

Where I'm torn is using underwear at naptime and bedtime. The author of this method says you cannot use pull-ups or diapers because it sends mixed signals to the child.

I don't know. I think I might just have to invest in some rubber sheets. Do they still sell those things?

Pete has taken tomorrow off to aid in the process. The author also says to only have one parent doing the training but I just can't see this being possible with me nursing Amarah so I think it's going to be a tag team approach.

This afternoon I am off to stock up on Propel, big boy underwear and some snacks. Wish us luck!

Wait! Isn't this weekend Mother's Day? What the heck was I thinking?

1 comments:

Michelle said...

Good Luck! I'm lucky you'll be able to help me with all these things when I have kids!! What book are you getting the info from?