Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Coming to a store near you: Mr. Couch Potato Head!

Okay, I swore up and down that I would never be the kind of parent that would allow my children to watch large amounts of television or use the television as a babysitting tool. I hate to admit it but I have become that parent and I'm not happy about it.

It all started when I was close to the end of my pregnancy with Amarah and had little to no energy whatsoever. I began to use the television as a way to pass the time throughout the day. Prior to this, Addison would only get an hour of television right before naptime as a way to help him wind down before his nap. Once Amarah was born, I found myself still relying on the boob tube to help keep Addison entertained so I could focus on taking care of a newborn. You see, Addison is very much an in-your-face kind of child. If I am sitting down somewhere, he has to be either sitting, standing, jumping, etc. right next to me or right on top of me. This can be very difficult when you're trying to nurse a baby. Unfortunately, I have resorted to using the television to distract him so that he's not always up in my business.

As part of my new year's resolution, I said I wanted Addison to watch less television. We are doing better but not great. Pete says I shouldn't feel bad. It's only a few months. We just have to get through winter and then I will be able to take him outside and to the park. I cannot wait! I think we are both going crazy being cooped up inside all the time. He is so full of energy and such an active little guy that we have a hard time finding an outlet for all of his energy. Pete has been wonderful about taking him out places on the weekend. It's their guy time.

I would love to be able to take Addison and Amarah out somewhere, like the play area at the mall, but this nightmare keeps playing over and over again in my head. I'm sitting in the play area watching Addison play when Amarah decides it's time to eat. As I'm nursing Amarah, Addison decides he wants to venture out of the play area into the mall and does not listen to my threats to come back to the play area. So there I am, chasing a toddler through the mall with a baby attached to my boob! I know! I know! I am just being paranoid. I should just suck it up and do it already! Maybe I will....someday!

But for now, I will try to limit the amount of television Addison watches. He honestly does just fine without it. He doesn't need it. It has just become a habit out of convenience and I am the only one to blame for that. How many days until spring?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

blogging is fun, isnt it?

ps where do the bon bons come in? i'm missing out

jill

Valerie23 said...

jill, don't you know that all stay at home moms are supposed to do nothing but watch soap operas and eat bon-bons? it's the life!